Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Julie and Julia: 365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen by Julie Powell (#5)

While I'm a huge fan of the movie, the book was quite different.  That usually goes without saying, as most folks' interpretation of a book is mostly individual. I had a hard time starting the book, as I found the main character hard to enjoy.  While I loved her in the movie, she translated very differently in the novel.  The book was very vulgar, something I felt the movie didn't show much of.  The movie character seemed very sweet, charming, with tendencies towards meltdowns; while in the book, she seemed more cynical, with a sailor's mouth.  Her journey through Julia Child's book was great, and something I'm glad I will never have to do, as many of the recipes sounded revolting (hello, aspics!).  It was nice to see, though, that her hard work with the blog paid off with gifts from fans, newspaper articles, and then a book deal. Not as captivating as the movie, for myself, or other books, but still an enjoyable read.

No comments:

Post a Comment