Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Water For Elephants by Sara Gruen (# 4)

My boss kindly lent me this book and once I started, I was unable to tear myself away from it's pages.  The story of a young man who loses everything and runs off to join a circus is told by young man much later, from the elderly nursing home that he lives in.  Reading about his experiences as a young man, then "jumping back" to his current life were very interesting.  He spoke about how old he had gotten and how he didn't recognize his hands anymore, not to mention when he'd look into the mirror.  His lamenting of the nursing home food, the way he was treated, and his longings while legitimate, were quite humorous. The story goes on to follow a train circus and a handful of the folks who perform and work in it during the Great Depression.  A fantastically beautiful, yet tragic story, that I found hard to let go one the book ended.

No comments:

Post a Comment